The KU4 is unmistakeably a ribbon microphone, with a characteristically smooth ribbon sound. Like other ribbons, its lightly-tensioned, ultra low mass ribbon has a frequency response beyond 20 kHz, an accurate transient response, and no upper midrange resonances common to large condenser mics.
However, having a supercardioid instead of a figure-eight polar response pattern mics sets it apart from other ribbon mics. The KU4's supressed rear lobe reduces the pickup of room ambience and is especially useful when the rear of a figure-eight pattern would pick up undesirable sounds. The KU4's reduced bass proximity effect facilitates closer micing while its low-tuned ribbon will not exhibit bass distortion. These characteristics make the KU4 well-suited for modern studio production.
AEA KU4's features
• Supercardioid pattern for excellent rear rejection
• Reduced proximity effect
• Smooth, high-bandwidth frequency response
• Authentic New Old Stock RCA ribbon material
• High-quality anodized & nickel-plated finish
• Custom AEA transformer, neodymium magnets
• Consistent Quality
• Field-tech replaceable ribbon assembly
• Hand-crafted in Pasadena, California